The Himalayan Trust UK works to the guiding principles laid down by Sir Edmund Hillary when he founded the Trust:
- To focus on basic infrastructure – education, health, environment
- To do only that which is requested by the mountain people of Nepal
- To involve the mountain people of Nepal themselves in the work – “self help”
- To minimise all unnecessary cost
- To facilitate direct transfer of funds (i.e. virtually no “leakage”)
The Himalayan Trust UK trustees work on an entirely voluntary basis. A modest 2.5% of funds are spent on administration, all in Nepal, all contributing to the local economy.